Hurricane Protection & Preparedness: How to Prepare for the 2023 Hurricane Season

This image shows the aftermath of a hurricane, with a waterfront home demolished by the storm.

As hurricane season approaches, savvy Florida homeowners are already taking steps to prepare for the worst. Hurricane Preparedness Week is the perfect time to start taking pre-season precautions. Whether you’re new to the area or revamping your home, there are plenty of ways to safeguard your property and minimize potential damage. To be fully prepared […]

Impact Windows vs. Shutters: How Do They Compare?

Impact vs Shutters

Choosing the right hurricane protection for your home or business is crucial for keeping your property, and the people within, safe in areas prone to extreme weather and those considered “wind-borne debris regions.” For many homeowners, the decision comes down to hurricane impact windows versus shutters. From convenience to overall effectiveness, homeowners have many factors […]

Florida Building Codes: How They Started, What it Means for You

Buying a home in Florida comes with an amazing lifestyle. However, the Sunshine State is located in an area of the world that is highly prone to the winds that come with tropical and hurricane-force storms. This is an important consideration for homeowners. Related: Best Ways to Secure Your Home During Storm Season Fortunately, storm-related […]

Best Ways to Secure Your Home During Storm Season

Palm trees blowing in the winds of a tropical storm

Hurricane season is upon us in Florida and other Atlantic coastal states. NOAA’s hurricane forecasters predict a 60% chance of an “above-normal season,” but not one as drastic as 2020. Forecasts expect 13 to 20 named storms, 6 of 10 could become hurricanes, with 3 to 5 “major hurricanes” (Category 3, 4, or 5). The […]

Hurricane Preparation Tips: The Importance of Planning Ahead

Satellite image of an Atlantic hurricane

Hurricane season will soon be upon us, and it’s best to prepare sooner than later. Storm experts predict the 2021 Atlantic storm season will be more active than usual. Officially, hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30, though storms can appear outside these dates—and have this year already, beginning with Tropical Storm Ana. […]

Replacement Window Guide

WinGuard Vinyl Awning AW5540 Window

Installing replacement windows can add an updated look to your home and protect you and your family from storms. The window replacement process may seem overwhelming, but the result is always worth it. Learn how to make window replacement easier with this guide. We will break down your options when it comes to style, material, […]

PGT Organizes a Drive-Thru Relief Effort for Hurricane Laura

Hurricane Windows - Aluminum Windows - Tempered Glass

At PGT Custom Windows and Doors, our mission has always been providing homeowners with custom products that protect what is most important – family. We are committed to delivering peace of mind, and this is evident through our core values: integrity, family, customers, quality, and community. Our parent company, PGT Innovations, also shares the same passions. […]

Hurricane Safety Guide: What to Do During and After a Hurricane

Hurricane Windows - Impact Resistant Windows - Hurricane Resistant

Experts predict this hurricane season to be above-normal. There’s a 60% chance of this prediction being accurate, with only a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and—even smaller—a 10% chance of being below-normal. The NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center thinks there will be at least 6-10 named hurricanes, with 3-6 of them being major (categories 3, 4, or […]

2020 Hurricane Prep During COVID-19

PGT Windows - Impact Resistant Windows

It has already been an unprecedented year, shattering records and affecting every aspect of our lives. Hurricane preparation during COVID-19 presents another layer of complexity. Rest assured that we are here to help. Though there has already been some activity with this year’s hurricane season, we hope that the coming months will pass without a […]

4 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Hurricanes

Hurricane Windows - Aluminum Windows - Tempered Glass

Did you know that the average cost of repair from a storm in the USA is nearly $8,500? Figures like this show the importance of creating and maintaining hurricane-proof homes. The good news is you can take steps to save money and protect your family before a storm hits—and without spending a fortune. If you live […]

Window Safety Week – 8 Tips to Protect Your Loved Ones

PGT Windows and Doors - PGT - Hurricane Safety

A lot can happen in a year. Whether your family has recently grown, you’re now a caregiver with children in the home, or perhaps friends have children who may visit your home, it’s essential to consider the safety of your windows. This is the perfect week to evaluate your home and determine if there are […]

10 Things to Bring to a Hurricane Shelter

Hurricane Windows - Hurricane Safety - Tempered Glass

In the event of a hurricane, the number-one question is whether to stay in town or evacuate to a safer environment. Numerous communities offer a great resource: hurricane shelters. Each area provides a safe building for families in the community to come together and ride out the storm in a sturdy, secure setting. But a […]

Hurricane Safety Tips: What to Do When It Floods

Hurricane Windows - Aluminum Windows - Tempered Glass

The heavy rains that occur during severe storms and hurricanes can wreak havoc on your home, and there’s another major threat that extreme weather can bring: flooding. According to National Geographic, “floods are among Earth’s most common — and most destructive — natural hazards.” Even just a few inches of water can create dangerous and even […]

Quiz: Which Hurricane Myths Are Fact or Fiction?

Hurricane Windows - Hurricane Safety - Tempered Glass

With hurricane season in full swing, you may be unsure about the facts. Here is a quick way to find out the truth. HURRICANE MYTHS QUIZ Take this short quiz to learn how to better protect your family during hurricane season. 1. Taping your windows is the best method to keep them from shattering.* True […]

Animal Evacuation Plan: 4 Ways to Protect Your Pets

Hurricane Windows - Aluminum Windows - Tempered Glass

A new change could be making its way into the Florida law during hurricane season this year. Waiting to be approved, the new bill, SB 1738, will ensure that your furry family members are not left behind during natural disasters. To help prepare for hurricane season, here are four tips on how to include your animals […]

5 Best Hurricane Apps to Use for iPhone and Android

Hurricane Apps - Hurricane Guide - Hurricane Safety

Hurricane Michael, now a Category 4 storm, is expected to be the strongest hurricane to hit the Florida Panhandle in recorded history. As part of the PGT Innovations family, we are dedicated to protecting families and businesses from storms with products and resources.